Friday 6 November 2015

Transfer Techniques (5)

Sellotape and Laser-print paper transfer:
The image I used was an illustration of different Jhat or Clans whose members were part of the Gurkha Army. I applied sellotape on the image side, covering as much area as possible. Then I got a damp sponge and rubbed off the paper at the other side, the image would be left as it is attached to the sellotape. I put some strokes of blue ink on my sketchbook to resemble the army camouflage pattern. This is a cheaper alternative to acetate photocopy.
   

I tried to minimise the intensity of the blue ink since the illustrations are quite gentle.Next time I use ink I should avoid the face especially if the ink is quite dark, the ink doesn't go well with the face.





Acetate Photocopy:
For the acetate, I compiled two different illustrations together. This technique is better than the sellotape technique because; there is no wrinkles or creases. The photocopy can be sown to another material, it is strong and durable enough to hold paint.
It has been tested against various backgrounds to see if the illustration suits them.

Biro pen and Hairspray:
I made a sketch of the Buddha statue using a blue Biro pen. I went over the outline of the statue once more so the hairspray doesn't blue too much of the sketch. The Biro pen creates strong, defining outline. I also used cross hatching to make the hairspray create more blue drippings.
 

The hairspray caused the Biro drawing to seep through several pages of my sketchbook. As you gently flip few pages, you can see the drawing gradually fading away just like a part of a memory slowly slipping away.

I didn't draw the eyes and the mouth of Buddha to make the iconic figure less memorable. I mainly targeted the face when I used hairspray for blurring effect for the feeling of loss of culture over time.

Acrylic and Laser-print:
I got another image and applied some acrylic to it. I then put it face down on my small sketchbook, I left it to dry for a day until I used a damp sponge to rubber off the paper again leaving the image on my sketchbook.
This technique creates a hazy effect on the image making it look very old and tattered. The remaining white paper on the images creates a sort of fog, it was hard to remove but the fog makes the image look vague and gives off the feeling of a clouded memory. Though unintentional, the holes -that are apparent was due to me rubbing the paper off too hard- appear on the face of some people like if this image was a memory, the people whose face are indistinguishable are the ones you no longer remember.

Oil Pastel Mono-print:
I drew the lotus on another piece of paper using oil pastels. It was more of applying colour to an area than actually drawing the object.
I then, turned over the paper and put it over my sketch book. This is where I drew the lotus using the black Biro pen. 

I did the same with the Buddha statue, I had to press harder because it turns out, I didn't put as much pastel on the paper as I did for the lotus.














No comments:

Post a Comment