Monday 14 December 2015

Minjae Lee - Recreation of "The Light of Mercy"



The Light of Mercy - Minjae Lee
2015
7.8 x 7.8 Inch (200 x 200 mm)
Mixed Media on Paper with wood frame

The Light of Divine
I was inspired by Minjae Lee's work called The Light of Mercy and so I decided to recreate the artwork in my style.
For this piece I used water colour, which was the closest material that could create a soft image like Minjae Lee's work especially of the face.
 The first piece was a practice to be able to understand colour study and its blending strength.
I used a pen to outline the face, the pen will make the work look more clean than the pencil. The collection of colours at the bottom left are the colours I am going to use so I tested how it would appear on the paper before applying it to the face.


I used blue on areas where there is very few lighting, so I don't use black which would make the piece look darker. I wanted the work to look vibrant like Minjae Lee's artwork.










For the hair, I left it dark brown colour rather than black because with brown you can see the tones and shadow in the hairstyle, which would be quite difficult to see with black.




To improve this piece, I should use the bleach + ink for the back ground since that technique can create a pattern that is similar to The Light of Mercy's background.

































The Light of Divine
A4 size paper,
Mixed Media on paper, pen (0.3),pencil (3B, HB and H)  and watercolour.

No comments:

Post a Comment